Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Catching Up

I have not been very good about blogging lately, mostly due to the lack of interesting things to write about. I have been running although somewhat grudgingly as after the first few euphoric runs parts of my body started to HURT. I was very indignant over the whole thing but apparently when you first start running it happens. Who knew. So I have cut back the lengths a little and then will build back up. There is a "Lunar Lope" next Wednesday that is a 5K that I am considering doing but I know there is no way I can run the whole way. Do they frown upon walkers? I really think doing this 5K will help motivate me to continue training and get me kind of excited about it, but you hate to be the last one plodding in at a walk. There is actually a 1 mile course that I know I could run the whole thing. Any thoughts? Advice?

Yesterday I found a scrap of paper with all of the bike races I had planned on doing this year. I was sad to see I had already missed two of them. Biking has always been my favorite sport but now it has been thrown to the wayside as I tried to strengthen my weaker events. Now I am realizing I really need to start training seriously because the one bike ride that started it all is in two months, the Hotter N' Hell 100. ( http://hh100.org ) I love this ride. If you have ever talked to anyone about it, they will say it is a religious experience and they would be right. There is something about lining up with 12,000 other cyclists of all ages and abilites and having one massive start with jets flying overhead before the cannon goes off that just gets into your blood.. If you don't get chill bumps, you must be dead. Anyways, the point is, it is time to get serious!! That ride is not for the weak as the temperatures usually do soar into the 100's which is a great motivator to get done quickly. So now begins the hot weather training. Egads.

3 comments:

Leah said...

I think it's OK to walk in a 5K. I've done it! The best thing is to make a plan, say, decide you're going to run for 10 minutes and walk one minute. Then see how your body feels and try to kick it up for that last bit. And pace yourself. Start out conservative and build up slowly. Or study the course and decide to maybe walk up one of the hills (if there are any). Just remember to race your own race and not get caught up in what other people are doing around you. Everyone is out there for a different reason.

Renee said...

awesome! Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go for it. Luckily it is a "Lunar Lope" and it is not until 10pm so no one can see me gasping for breath. Maybe a hoodie is in order as well!

Leah said...

Oh, and one other thing... no one is thinking about your performance but you! :) They'll all be focusing on what they're doing. Have fun!