Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ready to Take It

Last week I started back to swimming after taking off since before Christmas. I won’t lie, it was painful and awful. I was kicking myself for taking off that long and so two days later, I was back. The second time was so much better and I really pushed it and even added 500 yards to what I had planned on doing and really felt solid about it.

300 yd warm up
300 yd kick
100 fast, 50 slow X4
300 yd kick
300 cool down


Then I got out of the pool and melted into a pool of mush. I was feeling so great and then just collapsed in the locker room in an exhausted heap. I kept turning to my swim partner and whining, “But WHY am I so tired??”. Well, big duh there.

I have to say, it was a nice exhausted. Nothing really hurt, but I knew I had worked. Those are some of the best workouts. I go back today for a swim lesson and I feel much more prepared to take whatever beating my instructor dishes out.

3 comments:

Mike Russell said...

Just remember what the t-shirt says: "The beatings will continue until morale improves." At least act happy when you head to swim practice... :)

teacherwoman said...

There's definitely a different kind of exhaustion for swimming - in comparison to running or biking (at least that's the way it is for me)... way to get back in the water. I have only swam once since New Years and it's killing me!

Wes said...

jumping into 2000 yards of swimming is a lot harder then we give it credit for. Nicely done :-)