Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bad Blogger

I am a rotten blogger. You can throw tomatoes at me if you want. I have actually had all sorts of clever, wonderful things to write about, but I just have not gotten them from my little pea head to the computer. Kind of like the pictures I promised you. I actually do have them developed but I don’t have them on the computer yet. Obviously if they were anything exciting, I would have already had them posted, but they just did not turn out fantastic. A few are noteworthy though so I will try to summon the energy to get it done.

One thing from the Hotter N Hell that I totally forgot to mention was the tour through Sheppard Air Force Base 10 miles before the end. This is always the coolest part of the ride, but for the last two years, they have really gone all out. Usually you just ride through the base and enjoy the nice roads and get to look up in awe at the planes. For the last two years, they have had a section of the road where they have had cadets lined up along the road cheering for you in a way that makes you feel like you have just won the Tour De France. You turn the corner and all of the sudden, there are 400 cadets roaring at you and all wanting to slap you hand as you pass by and it is just simply….overwhelming. Last year was the first year they had this kind of turnout out and I was completely overcome and spent the next two miles with tears streaming down my face. I would not believe all of these all of these military personnel were out there in the sun clapping for us...cyclists?? It just blew my mind!

This year, I was prepared. As soon as I went through the gates I started prepping myself not cry. I am tough. There is no reason to burst into tears as soon as you see all of those young faces cheering for you and holding out their hands hoping you reach out and slap them. And I am tough. I made it all the way past them and even smiled at them. Of course, as soon as I got past them……well that is another story. I am sure it was just the fatigue though. :)

One story I read when I got home was that at one of the Army bases in Iraq, they had their own Hotter N Hell 100 because one of the soldiers that was stationed there was sad he was going to miss the race that year. He ended of contacting race officials and asked for T-shirts and water bottles and set up a race there. There were not enough bicycles to go around so they had some people riding in spin rooms too. How cool is that!

In other news, I think I have decided on my new shoes and pedals. I am going to the bike shop today to finalize and I will let you know my decision! Possible tri news coming too. Eek.

No comments: