Friday, July 25, 2008

Since Rachel Asked....

Our first show several years ago.


Blame Rachel for this post this is not about the kind of riding I usually blog about. This one is going to be about horses! Horses are really my passion. Unfortunately, they started to take over my life so that is when I decided to get another hobby that was really just a hobby and not let it consume me, which is why I started riding bikes. I wanted something I could do when I wanted to and feel no pressure to do it unless it was something I really felt like doing that day. Horses don't really work that way. If you don't go see them, they have a way of making you feel extremely guilty.

Anyways, I ride Dressage on a black Arabian horse names Czecher. Czecher thinks he is a Labrador and has tried to climb in my car before. He is truly the perfect male. He knickers when I whistle for him and comes running. When he ticks me off, I can lock him up and not see him until both of us have cooled off. When I find these qualities in a human male, it is possible I will consider keeping him too.



Currently Czecher and I are riding at 2nd and 3rd level and compete when we can afford it. Mostly right now, we do local shows. Which unfortunately I have to organize since I am president of our local Dressage club (see what I mean about this stuff taking over and not really being a hobby any more??). It really is a lot of fun, but a lot of work too. Luckily even though we have a small group here, we are all pretty active and there is a lot of enthusiasm.

This last weekend we put on a show that was really was more like a clinic. Everyone got a chance to ride their dressage test and then the judge coached them on what they could do better and then you got to ride your test again. It was just a cool training exercise so that way you could correct what you were doing wrong and then got a second chance! Wouldn't that be cool if you could do that in races? "I am sorry, that was a really bad swim, I am just going to fix that and come back and do it for real".



Anyways, that is a lowdown on this horse stuff I do. It is a lot of fun, but keeps me busy! I hope to get in some good bike rides this weekend so I can have something to blog about!

4 comments:

Judi said...

I love horses. I was just thinking this morning that I might go find a place I can take a trail ride or something.

Renee said...

It is so wonderful and relaxing! I think you should do it! It would be something you could do for yourself. Not to mention there is nothing like petting (or hugging) a horse when you feel lousy.

Leah said...

I used to ride when I was little. But, I used to do a lot of things! So cool to find out something more about you! Czecher is beautiful...

ItchyBits said...

What a beautiful horse! I love horses.