Monday, July 14, 2008

Tour De Nowhere

I love this name for a bike ride in Levelland, Texas. It is so appropriate! And the bike ride really did seem to take us to the middle of nowhere!
After way too few hours of sleep on Friday night and waking every hour afraid that I had over slept, I loaded up the car to make the 30 minute drive from Lubbock to Levelland. I ended up getting there before they even opened the registration desk. Oops. I at least had a full hour to sit there and get all of my stuff ready! Luckily I brought my ipod along and so I was able to sit there and try to relax before the race started.
This was a pretty small race; there were probably about a hundred riders spread among 5 courses. I really only saw about 10 people on mine. There was a nasty headwind that made me wish I had just stayed home and in bed. Luckily the race did a loop so the second half was bliss!! I was practically singing! In retrospect I wish I had done the 78 mile route, but that extra 35 miles could have made a huge difference between loving it and hating it. Plus it was nice just enjoying the morning and getting home early enough to take a short nap and then getting other things done in the day!
I think overall this was a good thing for me to do because each ride I do alone gets a little easier and the nerves calm a little more. And eventually maybe I will be able to convince someone to ride with me so I won't always be alone!

P.S. I got compliments on my super bright pink handlebar tape! From a guy!!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Glad you had fun! You must post a picture of that handlebar tape!